Friday, February 08, 2008

Once..

Once, about 10 years ago I was driving home on a nice summer evening. I saw a dog in the road that had been hit by a car. I silently offered a speedy trip to it's soul and steered around it.

About a quarter of a mile later it hit me that maybe it was not dead. I made a u turn and returned to the dog. I parked in front of it and turned on my emergency blinkers, what with it being a 4 lane thoroughfare and did not want anyone hitting us.

I approached the dog slowly and saw that is was breathing. Breathing very fast and bleeding from it's ears and nose. Mortal wounds.

Not having a cell phone at the time I drove to a nearby convenience store and called animal control. They did not sound too concerned.

I drove back and repeated the emergency blinker routine. I knelt next to the still rapidly breathing dog and began to gently stroke it's head and body while talking gently to him. I told him it was ok. He can go if he wants. His breathing slowed. Then slowed some more. Then stopped.

He just wanted someone to calm him. To know he was not alone.

I moved his body to the sidewalk and drove away. My eyes watered for the dog and for the family that would be looking for him in the morning.

I remember that every time I drive past that spot. I think I have a dog's soul thanking me every time, also.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Poor puppy. What a nice thing for you to do. My heart is made of pure marshmallow, even for dogs (I'm a cat person myself). I would be so afraid to stop and witness this...

7:04 PM  
Blogger kris said...

I'm bawling. We all would want nothing more than to have someone be with us when we left this world.

What a beautiful display of compassion, my dear.

6:56 PM  
Blogger kris said...

I still cry when I read this.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home